So what do you do?
It is important to choose the correct product as some of these products can hurt certain species of trees. And yes, there are options for treating planted hardwood trees. Red River Specialties supplies a variety that will work:
- Arsenal AC: The perfect solution for controlling competing vegetation throughout the pine forest life cycle. By freeing growing pines from the herbaceous weeds, grasses, vines and hardwood brush that compete for sunlight, moisture, nutrients and root space, Arsenal AC promotes healthier stands, faster growth, larger merchantable volumes – and higher returns on the timberland investment.
- Oust XP: With just a few ounces per acre, Oust® XP controls tough annual and perennial grasses and broadleaf weeds. Oust XP is ideal for use in rights-of-way, industrial areas, forestry and non-crop sites. This selective herbicide has set the standard for long-lasting, broad-spectrum control. It is an ideal foundation for residual control and bareground treatments on non-crop sites.
- Oust EXTRA: Controls many annual and perennial grasses and broad-leaf weeds in conifer plantations and non-crop sites. Oust® EXTRA herbicide provides long-lasting foliar and residual control of a broad-spectrum of woody vines, troublesome brush and broadleaf weeds. It’s long lasting, reducing the need for reapplication. When applied in late summer, early fall or winter, it helps provide herbaceous weed control the following spring. It’s also easy to mix and use, even after wind and rain delays.
- Escort XP: While other herbicides require pounds or gallons of product to do the job, Escort® XP offers better control using only a few ounces. Primarily used as a postemergence herbicide across the United States, Escort XP cost-effectively controls many annual and perennial weeds, plus tough woody plants. Selective to many grasses, Escort XP is known for its low use rates and flexibility.
- Esplanade F: Selective, pre-emergent control of grasses and broadleaf weeds in conifer and hardwood production areas. Esplanade® F herbicide is a selective, pre-emergent herbicide that delivers long-term residual control to help reduce costs, manage resistant weeds and improve operational flexibility for foresters. Esplanade F controls grasses and broadleaf weeds through inhibition of cellulose biosynthesis (CB inhibitor), providing a unique mode of action for conifer production.
- Velpar DF: Broad-spectrum control of weeds and brush. It is used for site preparation, conifer release and herbaceous weed control, and is especially effective in Longleaf Pine ecosystem restoration in the Southeast. It can be applied as a broadcast spray or a spot treatment. Most importantly, it delivers outstanding, broad-spectrum control of broadleaf weeds, grasses and woody brush (especially Oak) for rapid stand development.
Take the next step, with us!
One of the most important aspects of a successful Herbaceous Weed Control treatment is matching the application type and products to the species of trees planted and the individual site conditions. Your Red River Specialties rep has the experience and knowledge to help you through this process. Give us a call today, as the time for Herbaceous Weed Control treatment is from March to May!